Saturday, May 05, 2007

[migrawatch-public] Tuesday, 6PM @ Watson City Council

Migrawatchers, Berets, supporters:

It sucks to notify you that the meeting we had with Mayor Manuel
Bersamin on Thursday practically didn't mean anything to him. We had
asked him to pull the "non-cooperation" resolution from this Tuesday's
agenda and he ASSURED us he would do it to give us more time to work on
it and add our input, as the community. Because he asked us to call
Oscar and Antonio to ask them to pull it from the agenda (because it was
all three of them who introduced it), I did. I briefly spoke with Oscar
and he assured me that if it was okay with Manuel to pull it, it was
okay with him as well. I left Antonio a message. I then spoke to Manuel
and he claimed that "Oscar and Antonio did not want to pull it, and
since it's the majority...". I told him I had just spoken to Oscar, to
which then the conversation turned into a he-said, she-said bullshit.

Homeboy downright lied to us in our faces last night. He will NOT pull
it from the agenda. He will continue with it for his self-aggrandizing
reasons. I feel extremely disappointed because he has double-crossed us
twice. Once in not asking for community input on the resolution he put
together, even after knowing Migrawatch wanted to add some clauses, and
twice by not pulling this resolution from the agenda. In both cases he
has ignored the community.

This is such an important issue for our community right now that it is
imperative not to back down on our proposal to add a notification clause
to the resolution, or at the very least pulling it from the agenda and
postponing it for a month. We have to PACK THE CITY CHAMBERS ON TUESDAY,
MAY 8TH @ 6:00PM!!! We cannot be late, Tuesday's agenda is not big at
all and this is the FIRST issue on it, which means it will probably go
on right at 6:30PM. We have to be there 30 minutes before to make sure
we're there on time. I will take some signs and we have to be ready for
a hard-fought battle. SIMPLE, we ask for only one thing: A NOTIFICATION
CLAUSE, A NOTIFICATION CLAUSE, A NOTIFICATION CLAUSE to be added to the
proposed resolution! This would direct the Police Department to notify a
local human rights watch group that ICE is in town. Nothing more,
nothing less.

Everyone needs to be there. If you live somewhere other than Watsonville
and been meaning to visit, TUESDAY is the day @ 6PM! Tell your families,
friends, students, co-workers, EVERYONE NEEDS TO COME OUT IN FULL FORCE!
I feel this is the best opportunity for this to get passed. No choice.
Come speak for the addition of this clause. We have been working like
crazy since the inception of Migrawatch -- I'm not about to just see
this be shut down without a fight.

Thank you for reading this. The people need you RIGHT NOW. Pass the
word, see you on Tuesday at 6PM. Please distribute attached flier. I
have a translation into English if you need one.

paz,
Ramiro

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home